Surely you have already read hundreds of blogs related to Amazon. However, in this article, we have tried to put together all the keys to successfully advertising your products on Amazon. These tips are easy to implement and will give your products greater visibility and conversion in this marketplace.
Tips for advertising your products on Amazon
We jump in to explain step by step the recommendations to sell on Amazon:
1. Sell products on Amazon that will make you a profit
You must first track whether the products you want to sell on Amazon have enough demand. To do this you can check the list of the best-selling products in your category. If your product typology is among the best sellers it will be a good sign.
We also advise you to avoid selling products that directly compete with Amazon Retail. You would be competing against Amazon itself, so don’t expect very high sales. If you have a list of these products, you will be able to remove them from your Amazon listing using the ID, ASIN, EAN, or any other field that you have in your catalog. This can be managed very simply by applying a filter rule in Channable.
Products can also be filtered using values such as price. You may not be interested in selling products with a price lower than X on Amazon because the profit margin is minimal. Especially considering the commissions that Amazon applies. In this case, you would be interested in using the following rule, where products worth less than 10 euros are excluded from the listing:
If you want to take this advice to a more advanced level, use metrics that allow tracking for the performance of your products. Data such as conversion rate, CTR, revenue/cost, or ROAS can be extremely useful in deciding which products to publish or what prices to use. For this, we need to integrate with Analytics data. In the following rule, we are applying a 50% discount to products that have a conversion rate of less than 30%. This is very useful if you want to get rid of the products that you are not interested in having in stock.
If you sell clothing, you may want to exclude from the Amazon listing the products that are least likely to be sold. This usually happens with sizes XS or XL. In the following example, items that are only in stock in sizes XS or XL will be excluded:
2. Improve the verified opinions of your products
It has been shown that the opinions of other clients help potential clients to trust your webshop, thus increasing sales. It is estimated that between 2% – 5% of customers will leave an opinion. Here the quantity of opinions matters but also the quality, the more stars our product has, the better. The reviews most valued by Amazon are the ‘Amazon Verified Purchase Reviews‘, that is, those given by users as actual buyers of the product.
Now Amazon offers the option of directly requesting reviews from your buyers. Within your Amazon Seller Central account, in the Orders section, you must click on the name of one of the buyers. So you can send a direct message to the buyer requesting a review. It is important that in the Subject of the message you indicate that it is a «Request for evaluation».
One recommendation is to look at your competitors’ reviews and pay special attention to negative comments. You may be able to find the competitive advantage of your product, highlighting the differential value that your product can offer compared to the competition.
3. Reach the Buy Box
It is very likely that you are not the only seller of a product on Amazon. However, only one seller appears linked to the buy button or Buy Box. Appearing in the Buy Box can make the difference between selling on Amazon or not.
In theory, any seller can opt for the Buy Box, but it is Amazon’s algorithm that determines which seller deserves it. Deciphering this algorithm is very complicated since Amazon is modifying it constantly. What is clear is that Amazon prioritizes sellers with more authority, and for this several factors are taken into account:
- Amazon logistics. Amazon prefers to be responsible for the management, so it prioritizes sellers who work with Fulfillment by Amazon.
- Shipping times. The faster the better. These are the sections that Amazon offers: 0-2 days, 3-7 days, 8-13 days, and more than 14 days. Try to work with the first section.
- Defective orders. Amazon calculates this based on negative reviews, claims, and returns. Try to avoid them.
- Perfect Order Percentage (POP): It is an indicator where Amazon takes into account factors related to orders: delays, cancellations, and negative reviews. Try to make the % as small as possible, stating that most of the orders they serve are “perfect.”
- Positive reviews. As we have previously mentioned, you have to stimulate your customers to leave opinions about the product.
- Response time: You will be penalized if you do not answer your customers in less than 24 hours.
4. Give your products a little push with Amazon Pay Per Click
Ideal to advertise your products on Amazon from the beginning. If you see that your products have not achieved initial sales, you may want to consider this option. Amazon advertising can allow you to get more initial sales in a short time, this being a signal that Amazon will use to give your products more organic visibility. With an initial investment in advertising, it will be easier to get the first sales, the first product reviews, and a better organic position in the results of customer searches.
Amazon Pay Per Click works similar to Adwords, being able to create campaigns based on keywords and bids. Ads are prominently displayed to customers and you will only pay when a potential buyer clicks on your product. If your bid is higher than the competition for a certain keyword, the ads for your products will be shown.
We suggest you investigate more on this subject, so you can create a campaign that allows you to successfully advertise your products on Amazon.
5. Use a competitive price for your products
This is a very delicate point since it is directly related to the success and profit that your products can have on Amazon. It is important that you do not reference the prices you use in your online store. On Amazon, the price war is more evident when directly showing the prices of similar products. You will have to take into account the following equation to know what your profit margin will be:
- Costs: Raw materials, manufacturing, packaging, shipping, Amazon commission … You can’t miss a thing.
- Competitor prices: You have to do a good analysis of the competitor prices. Tools like Unicorn Smasher or Seller Metrix can help you get this type of information. Can you offer similar prices to your competitor?
If your costs are too high and the competitor´s prices are too low, you may not be interested in selling on Amazon. It will be difficult to find buyers who are willing to buy your products having similar offerings at a lower price.
To know exactly the costs and commissions of selling your product on Amazon, you can use this tool, which will also help you calculate logistics costs on Amazon (so you can see if you are interested in using that option).
* Keep in mind that payments in full are managed by Amazon. You just have to worry about adding your bank account. However, you will not receive the income instantly, Amazon will pay you two weeks after the sale. Therefore, if you have claims, Amazon will not give you the money until it has been resolved.
6. Create attractive titles for your products
To sell on Amazon, users have to find your products attractive. A good way to do this is to include keywords in the headings. This will help to better position your products in the Amazon search engine. A very simple way to search for these keywords is to use the suggestions offered by Amazon’s own search engine. These suggestions are the most searched words by Amazon users, so they can help you to find inspiration. You can also use the Keyword Tool, in the Amazon tab. In addition, you must place these keywords at the beginning of the title, to give them a higher priority.
Another way to optimize the titles of your products on Amazon is by including relevant attributes such as the brand, product type, material, color, size, and number of units that the package contains.
Other details to consider:
- Amazon allows a maximum of 250 characters (for desktop searches), but we recommend the titles not exceed 200 characters
- Capitalize the first letter of each word
- Write numerals (2 instead of two)
- Don’t use symbols like ! * $?
- Do not include promotional messages such as discounts or free shipping
Below we find the example of an optimized title, where attributes such as brand, material, product type, color, and available sizes have been added:
A very easy way to optimize the titles of your products for Amazon is using a feed management tool like Channable. You just need to create a couple of rules that will allow you to modify all the titles at once. In the following example, you can see how to add attributes like brand, product type, color, and size to all the products in your catalog:
And you can do way more! You can also remove symbols, capitalize the first letter of each word, shorten titles that exceed 250 characters, and much anything you can think of.
7. Share the URL of your products generated by Amazon
When you click on one of the products, Amazon adds a series of parameters to the URL of that product. This way Amazon knows the users who have shown interest in this product within Amazon. One of the metrics that Amazon takes into account to improve the positioning of products in search results is the CTR of the products. If you use the URL generated by Amazon to share it on social media, you will be sending traffic to Amazon, making your CTR higher and therefore, improving the position of your products within this marketplace.
8. Improve the quality of your product photos
If you want to sell successfully on Amazon, it is important that you take care of the aesthetics. Amazon has general requirements for product images. However, you will also have to take into account the specific requirements that Amazon sets depending on the product category. You can find these specifications in the publication guide for each category. In fact, the guidelines of the photos in each category prevail over the general ones.
Some general advice:
- Use white backgrounds.
- Use quality photos so they don’t get pixelated when zooming.
- Use photos of the product from different perspectives.
- Remove margins so that the product occupies the entire photo.
And be careful with the colors! Returns are very common because the colors in the photos do not correspond to the actual color of the product.
Selling on Amazon can be tricky. However, if you implement the tips that we have just offered, it will be easier than you think. With tools like Channable you can create the perfect listing for Amazon, making sure that your product ads meet the requirements we have just covered.
|Test Channable for free||Sign up for a demo|