Facebook Shops is based on catalogs that improve the discoverability of items, the quality of recommendations for individual users, and the relevance of the displayed product information.
Social commerce enables merchants to reach their target groups via their preferred outlets – social media channels such as Facebook and Instagram. Customer needs can be met in an innovative way with a streamlined store concept.
The integration of Facebook Shops within Channable is an addition to the feed for Facebook advertising. With Facebook, ads (for both Facebook and Instagram) are displayed throughout the news feed and on the right side of the interface in a computer setting (on mobile devices only throughout the news feed). This helps merchants to reach and re-target users during their daily social media activities.
Facebook Shops feed template
Facebook Shops is, in contrast to Facebook ads, a digital storefront on Instagram and Facebook in which highly relevant items are displayed to the social media user. Facebook Shops drives traffic from the social network to a merchant’s website. A checkout function (making Facebook Shops an actual marketplace) has so far only been rolled out in the US.
A catalog is a container that holds information about the items you want to advertise or sell across Facebook and Instagram. You can create catalogs for different types of inventory, like products (ecommerce), hotels, flights, destinations, home listings or vehicles.
The prerequisite to use Facebook Shops is a complete commerce catalog, holding information about the items you want to showcase across Facebook and Instagram. Enhanced catalogs can be created by using the Facebook Shops feed template in Channable and facilitate the shopping experience for the customer by empowering:
- Discoverability: Item-specific attributes can help to increase the discoverability of products and lead more users to merchants’ Facebook Shops.
- Personalization: More specific product details are included to trigger user-product matches and the relevancy of recommendations.
- Product details pages: More relevant product information facilitates the buyer’s purchase decision and enables more powerful merchandising (promotions, reviews, and recommendations).
Category- and market-specific information allows customers to easily discover and consider a broad range of highly relevant products using search and filters.
The main benefits of ‘enhanced’ catalogs are a high-quality shopping experience through expanded search options (product variants, e.g. color, and availability), and the ability to sort and filter based on keywords within a Facebook Shop.
Disclaimer: “Collections” (a dynamic catalog that retrieves items from various product categories that form a kind of thematic unity; e.g. “summer collection” with swimwear from clothing, sunscreen from health & beauty, travel guides from books, and sun chairs from home & garden) are not available yet in Channable.
- Sellers who previously had an Instagram Profile Shop and/or Facebook Page Shop will automatically convert to Facebook Shops. Before setting up your shop, you need to have received an email or notification from Facebook. A shared storefront across both Instagram and Facebook is possible as well.
- New sellers can create a shop in Facebook Commerce Manager.
Read more in our help center article.